Origami envelopes are a fun and creative way to add a personal touch to any occasion. Whether it’s for a special letter, a gift card or a small gift, an origami envelope can turn a simple gesture into a memorable moment. In this guide, we’ll go over the steps to create an easy origami envelope, and also provide some tips and ideas to inspire your creativity.
To get started, you’ll need a square sheet of paper. The size of the paper will determine the size of your envelope, so choose accordingly. You can use any type of paper, from regular printer paper to decorative origami paper, depending on your preference.
Step 1: Fold the Paper in Half Diagonally
Take your square sheet of paper and fold it in half diagonally, creating a crease in the center. Make sure to align the corners and edges as accurately as possible, as this will affect the final shape of your envelope.
Step 2: Fold the Bottom Corner
Take the bottom corner of the folded paper and fold it up towards the center crease. The edge of the folded corner should align with the center crease, creating a new crease along the bottom edge of the paper.
Step 3: Fold the Top Corner
Now take the top corner of the folded paper and fold it down towards the center crease. The edge of the folded corner should also align with the center crease, creating a new crease along the top edge of the paper.
Step 4: Fold the Side Corners
Next, take the left and right corners of the folded paper and fold them in towards the center crease. The edges of the folded corners should align with the bottom and top creases, respectively, creating two new creases along the sides of the paper.
Step 5: Tuck in the Flaps
Take the top flap of the paper and tuck it into the bottom flap, tucking it under the folded edge. The bottom flap should now be secured in place and the envelope should be fully formed.
Congratulations, you’ve made an origami envelope! You can now write a message or insert a small gift or card inside. But why stop there? Here are some tips and ideas to take your origami envelope to the next level:
- Decorate the envelope with stickers, stamps, or washi tape to add a personal touch.
- Use different types of paper, such as patterned scrapbook paper or newspaper, to create unique and eclectic envelopes.
- Make a set of envelopes in various sizes and colors to have on hand for any occasion.
- Experiment with different folding techniques to create more intricate and elaborate designs.
Other Tips for Making Origami Envelopes
- If you’re using patterned paper, make sure the pattern is on the outside of the envelope.
- You can also decorate your envelope with stickers, washi tape, or markers.
- Experiment with different sizes of paper to make envelopes of various sizes.
- If you’re having trouble folding the paper, make sure it’s crisp and free of creases before you begin.
- Practice makes perfect! Don’t be discouraged if your first few envelopes don’t turn out perfectly. Keep practicing and you’ll soon be an origami envelope pro.
Origami envelopes are a simple yet effective way to add a personal touch to any gift or letter. By following these easy steps and getting creative with your designs, you can create beautiful and unique envelopes that will make any occasion extra special.